December 11, 2006

Are you agree? I am agree

Lately, I've noticed that most of my friends and students are very used to say "Are you agree?" and "I am agree." Grammatically, it's wrong. Why is it wrong? If you were to use agree (main verb) with auxiliary verbs (or helping verbs) like am, is, was, are and were, you need to insert the ending -ing to the main verb.
Example:
1. I am agreeing. (CORRECT)
I am agree. (wrong, no -ing)
2. He is chatting. (CORRECT)
He is chat. (wrong, no-ing)
3. Sheila was jogging. (CORRECT)
Sheila was jog.(wrong, no-ing)
4. They are shooting. (CORRECT)
They are shoot.(wrong, no -ing)
5. The cows were eating. (CORRECT)
The cows were eat. (wrong, no-ing)
Alright, let's say you don't use the auxiliary verbs (is, am, was, are, and were), you can simply say "I agree" or "She agrees" (refer Simple Present Tense/Singular & Plural Verbs). See, no auxiliary verbs means no -ing.
"Are you agree?" isn't right either, so when you want to put this in question form, please use "Do you agree?" or "Are you agreeing?"
However, there is a difference between these two (Do you agree? and Are you agreeing?) in terms of tenses (Simple Present & Continuous Tense).
P/S: This rule is only applied to these auxiliary verbs: am, is, was, are, were. Find more details with Google Search Box.

No comments: